Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Metro Students Out in the Community














Hey there Servistas!


In this blog, we will be going inside the expierence of a Metro Student who volunteers in the community. By reading this profile, I hope that you can feel more connected to a organization and the amazing benefits that exist when you volunteer! Here is Alyson's community interview from the wonderful non profit organization, SAME Cafe, http://www.soallmayeat.org/.


Enjoy!




What brings you to SAME Cafe? I needed a place to intern for school and my food safety professor at Metro State recommended SAME Cafe. I will be going to school forBaking and Pastry at Culinary Institute of America in NY. Right now I volunteer on Mondays and Fridays in the kitchen until I leave forschool in April. I am excited to be going to culinary school and evengot a scholarship for community involvement, academics, and an essay I wrote.

What do you like about being at SAME Cafe?

I like that SAME uses as much fresh ingredients as possible and is allabout the community. I can tell that Brad and Libby really care about it. It is not just a job to them. I am a vegetarian and I love the options. I just traveled to Korea to visit my brother who is servingin the army and it was so interesting to see all the different foodsthere. They don't really get why someone would be vegetarian. They eat a lot of meat. Come into the cafe sometime on a Monday or Friday and I will tell you about my trip to the Korean BBQ and the streetmarket where the only food I recognized was bean sprouts and green onions.

What is your favorite job at SAME Cafe?

Making cookies of course!


I hope that inspired and engaged you to volunteer! If you have any questions about volunteering through our office and any other civic engagement opportunities please visit us in Tivoli 243 or call (303) 352-7129, we are happy to answer any questions or comments you may have.



Have a great rest of the week!



Rachelle

Media/Events Assistant

Center for Urban Connections





No comments:

Post a Comment