Friday, August 6, 2010

Be Passionate. Be Aware. Be Service!


Hi Folks!

Here are some articles that originally are for educational purposes. but I found them interesting on a New York Times blog. If you are a teacher and reading this, think if you could incorporate this into a lesson plan or if you are at college student reflect on the service you do and maybe journal about it.


This month is one of new semester, new friends, new professors, school supplies and adjusting to the new school year. When you are choosing your schedule from classes to work-outs, activities to socializing, I challenge you be aware of what you are doing to make a difference. Doing something simple like giving leftover food from your dinner to someone on the 16th Street Mall benefits you and that person. Think of simple ways to do good and weave them into daily practices so that they seem natural. When a person is aware of what they are doing, as far as service learning they really spread that message onto other individuals. Every day when I walk onto campus, I find myself feeling somewhat guilty because I have not given money to the green peace or save the children canvas workers. Then, I stop and re-think that just because I can't give a subscription to them, does refrain me from my awareness of doing service. I can go to the office supply store and buy two extra things of pencils and erasers, a total cost of 2 dollars and give it to a kid whose family cannot afford it, that can be my service. The acts of giving are endless but I think we as a society, just want to leave that in an old box or to the philanthropists that have the money, when in reality we all are and can be the difference. Giving an hour to talk to a person with special needs, talking and being friendly to the homeless, there are many ways, by spending no money you can help others. There are many resources out there, just use your tool box full of ideas and programs so that itbe available to you. Things like the internet, looking at projects in the local Denver community or at our center, The Center for Urban Connections right here at your school in Tivoli 243! If you have just one passion or millions of them, find ways to glue all of the resources you find to them and go out to a local not for profit organization and volunteer. Maybe you will receive an experience that you never thought you would find. Be passionate, be aware and be service!

Hope you guys have a great rest of the summer!

Rachelle
Media/Events Assistant
Center for Urban Connections







No comments:

Post a Comment